Wednesday, June 13, 2007

NATURAL THERAPY TO COMMON COLD

I clearly remember the years when I would almost everyday wake up with a running nose and sneezing or a nasal congestion and feel so miserable. It was not just the climatic changes or what I ate or drank that brought the onset of cold. I dreaded the times I had to continue to live with it along with the running nose, body pain, headache, sore throat, loss of appetite and aching muscles. Often I would go to the doctor who would prescribe some antibiotics and medicines which for a time would help, but I did not want to continue with that. Everyone around me tried to help, however, I would always be irritable, until one day I came across a book on home remedies for cold. I started with those remedies and it not only made me feel much better, but also became more chirpy and active. Since we are all familiar with cold, I thought of sharing this remedy to others.

The common cold is an inflammation in the upper respiratory tract, and is contagious and can be caused by a number of viruses which can live and be acquired on objects such as pens, books, coffee cups etc. It is mostly spread by hand-to-hand contact. In case there is fever and persists or returns after three days then it you may have developed bacterial infection.

Amla being a rich source of vitamin C eating one twice a day or drinking the juice strengthens the respiratory immunity. For mucus and first signs of cold, steep 3 or 4 slices of ginger in cup of boiling water. Add honey to taste.
Drinking a hot cup of milk to which ½ tsp of turmeric powder and sugar is added gives much relief from cold. So also garlic juice made by adding few drops of garlic oil to a teaspoonful of onion and diluting it in a cup of water is very helpful.
If you want relief from a dry and stuffy nose, then normal saline or salt water nasal drops made by adding ¼ tsp of table salt to about 4 ml lukewarm water will give much relief. Also black tea prepared with black pepper powder, dry ginger powder and tulsi leaves taken 3 to 4 times a day relieves running nose, headache and sore throat.

No comments: